I AM NOT LIVING THE LIFE I WANT TO LIVE. I know in my heart this is true. So, what am I doing?
1. I’m using a less than challenging job to save the money I need to take my dream trip and have a re-entry financial cushion. Not having something to fall back on when I return (if I do) does not sit well with me at all.
2. I’m using the time (and travel with my job) to get more frequent flier miles so I can get the first flight of my trip for free. Can you say $4,000 automatically saved? I can!
3. I’m trying to hold onto my friends and things I love about Atlanta as long as possible before I say goodbye because I don’t think I will be coming back.
4. I’m sacrificing my dream for just a little longer so I can plan it well. Ok, maybe perfectly. Although the biggest things I need to get situated are my house (sell or rent – it’ll be on the market March 1) and the sale of all my belongings. That takes time.
5. I’m making myself miserable (job…) and am compromising my health and sanity the longer I wait.
What I’m realizing is that I am READY. I am ready for my trip. I am ready for my new life. I am ready to JUMP and LEAP. I’m the kind of person who once I know what I want, I don’t wait – I go after it. I also don’t change my mind or veer off course easily. I’m also DONE. Done with my job. Done with my house and all my stuff (even though I don’t that have much!) Done with my current life. So it’s killing me to wait another 11 months to leave for Patagonia. Although summer time would be so much better there! And in Antarctica too…
My own feelings about travel are this: GO – don’t wait around. Spend money on experiences, not things. Travel gives you an education no one can take away from you. Travel is freedom. Travel enriches the soul. Find a way.
What do you think – does the Manifesto resonate with you? Do you think I should continue to hold off on leaving to save more money or should I take my own advice, just go, and see how the money thing plays out?
If you liked this post, check one of these out:
I'm a passionate photographer, zealous wine taster, obsessive trail runner, crazy adventure junkie, avid camper, and find my current career calling in the non-profit sector. I'll be striking out on my own the first week of January 2015 for a year long around-the-world trip. Learn more about me here.
- No posts to display